Monday, July 28, 2014

How much time do you spend in a Queue?

This week I find myself learning about how to properly program Queues in C++.  I can't help but observe a couple things that you may or may not have noticed.

first - how much of our lives to we spend in a queue?  Whether at the market, waiting on a server queue or even the doctors?  I've spent a decent chunk of time this morning with my mother walking around in a hospital going literally from queue to queue to queue.  This really is what caused the question above to become a point of conversation today. 

Just by doing some very simple math we can see how much I might actually be spending my life in a line.

Lets say that we measure this in minutes per day.

So lets say I spend minutes in traffic = 5
Waiting on load times at work = 20
at the market = 5
loading times in games = 10 ( this would include mobile, pc and console)

so per day we see approximately 40 minutes in a queue.


per week that makes it = 210 minutes or 3.5 hours
per month 14 hours
per year that's 1 week in queue. 

Now in learning how to program a queue we look at the ability to place data elements in a stack and remove them from a stack. To enqueue and dequeue respectively.  It essentially comes down to looking at how to modify a list but that is another way to even take a look at some of the things we have in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment